Saturday, August 25, 2007

For those who have started school I hope all is well with that! Another month has yet gone by so I figured it was update time again. All therapy is still going well. We are still going to individual speech therapy twice a week and have TIPS once a week. We were going to add group speech therapy to Dylon's list but, to make a long story short, we have decided not to since he will be starting school in about 2 months. His therapist and I talked and she said she would rather us keep his individual times and have this "intense" one on one therapy and let him get his group/social interactions when he starts school. OT will be starting soon- they called and said they were going to send the request through our insurance.

We had our initial visit with the school district earlier this week to talk about Dylon starting school in November. The representative from Davidson County told us about the different classes they have available for when Dylon starts so we would have an idea what is instore for us. Classes will be Monday- Friday 8 to 2. If we think Dylon will not make it everyday then they will work with us on a schedule but they like to start them everyday. They do take naps and Michael and I have to keep in mind that all of Dylon's therapies will be given while in school. I still need to talk with our insurance company but if they continue to pay for so many speech therapy visits a year, which I think it was like 60, we will keep one of the appointments with Bill Wilkerson (where Dylon gets speech now). We don't think that it will hinder Dylon in any way to have that extra session with Bill Wilkerson once a week. Some schools have extended school hours in the summer where we can take Dylon, I guess if they it would be beneficial, but Bill Wilkerson also has some more class type therapy sessions start in the summer for this particular purpose. It is hard to think of our little man going to school 5 days a week for 6 hours. I don't know what I am going to do with myself!

Michael has offically had a week and 1/2 of teaching his classes and seems to be doing well with that. Not only is he teaching a freshmen and junior Bible class but they have added a class, service learning, to his schedule. In this class they are doing service projects and different things like that (fundraisers, meals on wheels, window cleaning, etc.). We are just continuing to pray that God will use Michael to help others see the workings of Christ in a life and God will grant Michael wisdom and understanding working with teenagers. He is still working on his masters degree. He had his first class Thursday...Greek. He came home and said it would be a lot of studying with flash cards and that I would need to help him but I had to explain to him that..."It would all be Greek to me!" I know, I know, it's sad but I had to say it at least once :>. He is taking another class but I don't remember what it is just that he will go once a month on a Friday and Saturday.

I have been the normal busy with work, church, Dylon, Michael, and trying to have some fun relaxing days. Work is going well. I haven't told very many people but I did a staff driven education day at the hospital called "Care of the Autistic Child". It identified and defined some of the diagnosis on the spectrum plus developmental delay and sensory integration, common characteristics in children with autism, quick facts, and ideas that hosptial staff could take into consideration when taking care of a child with autism. My main objective was/ is to get this information out to people to help them understand and respect a child and family dealing with autism. I also believe it would help people with the stress load if they have a little knowledge about what they are dealing with. My class had 4 people out of the whole hospital but after talking with the PCCU management team and the head doctor of the PCCU I am hoping to get this information to more people. God has opened the doors this far and I am just trusting in Him to do the rest.

That about does it for an update on all the family. New York was a blast and a good get-a-away! We missed Dylon but I don't think he knew we were gone for a week therefore not missing us. :> Hope you all have a wonderful week.

No comments: